How big are the two halls and how many can they accommodate ?

The Small Hall (also known as the The Old Hall) measures approximately 6m x 10.7m and has the legal capacity to accommodate up to 150 people.  At the one end of the Small Hall is the Furniture Store (see site plan on the MAKE A BOOKING page) and at the opposite end is a sliding partition door that separates it from The Large Hall.

The Large Hall (also known as The New Hall) measures approximately 8.5m x 16.4m and has the legal capacity to accommodate up to 160 people.  At the one end is a curtained STAGE area with an external door, which is included in the hire cost.

What is the maximum number of guests legally allowed in the halls ?

When hiring both halls you can accommodate up to a total of 310 guests.  The Small Hall on its own can accommodate up to 150 people and The Large Hall on its own can accommodate up to 160 people.

How do you manage our safety during the hire ? And what are my responsibilities as the hirer ?

The Trustees take your safety very seriously and the Memorial Hall complies with all current national and local legislation for public places.  The Hall is also insured against claims that may arise from and which are proved to be caused by its own negligence. 

Relevant Health and Safety information is available in the building so you must familiarise yourself with the type and location of the various types of fire fighting equipment and all the available and clearly signed EMERGENCY EXITS before the hire commences.  You are also responsible for identifying at least one additional named fire steward (but more if necessary depending on the number of guests) to help them oversee FIRE and SAFETY regulations. This means you and your named steward(s) must be identifiable to your guests and will be responsible for the conduct and any subsequent evacuation from the building of all guests in the event of a fire or other serious incident.

Under no circumstances must any fire extinguishers be moved from their designated positions or discharged unless needed for use.  In the event of a fire or serious incident that requires you and your guests to evacuate the building, you should use any of the clearly signed EXITS safely available and assemble on the Recreation Field in an area right away from the building.

Can we arrange our own bar ?

The Memorial Hall is not permanently licensed for the sale of alcohol, so if you wish to have a Licensed Bar for the sale of alcohol at your event you must first apply for a Temporary Events Notice (TEN) Licence.  For more information about obtaining a TEN Licence visit www.gov.uk/temporary-events-notice  Alternatively you can try approaching a local publican who may be willing and able to arrange one on your behalf.  But please be aware that there is a limit of 15 TEN licences that may be granted to the Memorial Hall (or indeed any unlicensed venue) in a twelve month period.  You are therefore advised to make early application as the Trustees can accept no responsibility for any failed application due to the number of TENs already granted exceeding the annual limit.

Can I have my Teenage party at the Hall ?

The Trustees have reluctantly decided that they cannot accept bookings for Teenage Parties, however family parties, which may include some teenagers in the number of guests, will be considered but may also be subject to the advance payment of a damage deposit/bond.

Where required this will usually take the form of a cheque, which will be returned un-cashed at the end of the hire, subject to no damage being caused or additional cleaning being required.

As with all hires, the adult hirer must accept our Terms and Conditions (T&Cs) at the point of making the booking.  Large parties will normally require the approval of the Trustees prior to confirmation.

Can I hire the hall for a Table-Top sale?

Yes, but if you are selling goods on the premises these should comply with fair trading laws and any relevant codes of practice.

Are there any other types of events that the Trustees will not allow ?

You will see that on the on-line booking page we ask you briefly to describe the event you are hiring the hall for.  As Trustees we have to be mindful of the responsibilities we have both to our local community and to the various authorities that license our premises.  While most events are usually acceptable the Trustees have to reserve the right to refuse to hire the hall in certain circumstances.  For example (although this is not an exhaustive list) we have to ensure that you are not:

  • going to sub-let or use the premises for any unlawful purpose or act in an unlawful way
  • doing anything on the premises that may endanger others or invalidate any of our insurance policies
  • using the premises for any other purpose than that described in the hiring agreement
  • allowing the premises to be used for unidentified purposes or
  • bringing onto the premises anything which would endanger the public
  • allowing the use or availability of drugs and/or substances that can be abused
  • doing anything on the premises which is in contravention of the law relating to gaming, betting, and lotteries
  • conducting an event which doesn’t comply with all conditions and regulations made in respect of the premises by the Fire Authority, Local Authority, and Local Magistrates’ Court
Can I use fireworks and/or Chinese Lanterns ?

If you wish to use fireworks at some point during your event you must seek the written agreement of the Trustees BEFORE the event.  This is to make sure that your fireworks will be used in moderation (as we have residential properties close by) and that our neighbours are forewarned about the approximate time that the fireworks will be used.  No fireworks may be used inside the building and, subject to consent, all fireworks must be kept safe and secure before use and then let off on the field at a safe distance from the building.  Please note however that unless you are booking the 48-hour Wedding Package, if you wish to use fireworks, you must also hire the field separately for this purpose.

HOWEVER – under no circumstances will the Trustees permit the use or release of lighted Chinese lanterns on the premises, surrounding land or field as these have in the past started fires on farmland in the vicinity.

Can I put up a marquee on the field ?

Yes, a Marquee can be erected on the adjacent recreational field as part of the 48 hour Wedding Package hire agreement.  Should you need more time before and after the 48-hour period to erect and then dismantle the marquee the field must then be hired separately to cover the additional hours needs.

If you are wishing to erect a marquee as part of a normal hire of one or both halls, then you must hire the field separately for the duration required – this must obviously include the time you need to erect and then dismantle the marquee as well as the actual time of the event itself.

Is the field included in the hire charges for the hall ?

No, unless you are booking the 48 hour Wedding Package you must book the field separately if you wish to use it as part of your event.  Due to the fact that both halls are available for hire independently of each other, we cannot guarantee that the field will be always be available for hire at the time of your potential event.  All booking requests are time stamped and so the field will be hired on a first-come first-served basis.

Can I hire the field separately (i.e. without having to hire the hall) ?

Yes, subject to availability it is possible to hire the field separately – in other words without having to hire one or both of the halls as well.  But please be advised that there are no external toilet facilities or sheltered areas on the field itself.  Should you need access to toilets, a kitchen facility or shelter then one or both halls must be hired at the same time.

Can I decorate the hall(s) ?

Yes, but you may not use nails, pins, sticky-tapes, blu-tac or other adhesive materials to fix decorations directly onto the internal walls.  Long wooden batons have been installed above the windows and on the wall opposite the window wall in both halls, which you may use to fix and/or hang decorations.  These and only these batons (together with any notice boards for general use in the small hall) may have pins or adhesive materials used on them.  A Trustee will inspect the condition of the building immediately after the hire and any evidence of damage to internal walls and paintwork caused by the use of adhesive materials (except on the batons or general notice boards) will incur an additional cost for redecoration/making good.

Alternatively many hirers now bring their own, freestanding screens or tabletop screens which they then use as decorative panels.

A Trustee will inspect the condition of the building immediately after the hire and any evidence of damage to internal walls and paintwork caused by the use of adhesive materials (except on the batons or general notice boards) will incur an additional cost for redecoration/making good.

Is the use of the kitchen and its facilities, crockery, cutlery, the bar area and furniture included in the hire cost ?

Yes. The kitchen (which has a double serving hatch to the Small Hall) is equipped with an oven and hotplates, microwave, water boiler and kettle together with a fridge, double sink unit (with drainers) and a hand-wash basin all of which are included in the cost of the hire.  Hot water to the kitchen is supplied by an electric immersion heater (the switches for which are on the wall adjacent to the sink) and there is a limited supply of pots and pans, glasses, teapots, crockery, (cups and saucers and side plates) and cutlery also available.  Tables and chairs are stored in the furniture store at the one end of the Small Hall and the small, self-contained bar room has serving hatches to both halls. 

Please note, however, that as it is possible to hire each of the 2 halls independently, in the event of two hires taking place at the same time, use of the kitchen, bar and furniture is shared between the two hirers and their guests.

Can I bring animals and/or pets into the building ?

No animals or birds (except guide dogs) may be brought into the hall, other than for a special event agreed in advance with the Trustees (e.g. for a dog show). No animals or birds are to enter the kitchen at any time.

Does the hall have a Performing Right Society (PRS) music licence ?

Yes – this is now known as TheMusicLicence, which allows you, as hirer, to legally play music at your event through the radio, TV, other digital devices and live performances.  For more information about TheMusicLicence go to: https://pplprs.co.uk/what-we-do/

Please note however – any music being played must be kept at a reasonable level, particularly drums/bass music. This should entail checking the external noise level by going outside. The Hall has several neighbours who should not be disturbed by loud music. Local residents are entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of their homes and gardens so when music is being played all windows must kept closed and the main entrance and the internal doors should remain closed at all times except for access.  The playing of music must end at midnight.

Do you have an option for your cleaners to clean the hall for us after use ?

No, at the end of the hire you are responsible for leaving the premises and surroundings in a clean and tidy condition including the cleaning of floors and other surfaces together with the removal of any temporary decorations and signs inside and outside the Hall.  More information about what you have to do at the end of your hire is given in the next FAQ “What do I have to do at the end of my hire?”

What do I have to do at the end of my hire?

An online CLEAN UP AND CLEAR AWAY checklist is provided to assist you and any of your guests who may be helping in post-hire cleaning process.  A copy of the checklist is available on the website and may also be emailed to you in advance of your hire.  Hard copies of the checklist will also be made available in the kitchen area. 

All litter and rubbish is to be securely bagged and put inside the wheelie bins provided with the lids firmly closed. There are two such bins located alongside the external window wall adjacent to the front Entrance Doors. Any rubbish that cannot be placed inside the waste bins allowing the lids to close completely must be taken away by the HIRER at their own expense.  PLEASE NOTE: Any rubbish, bagged or otherwise (including empty bottles or cans etc) left inside the kitchen, or any other area inside the building or anywhere outside the building (including anything left next to the wheelie bins) will incur an additional waste disposal supplement of £50.00, payable by you as hirer. Any items of equipment, furniture or other contents used during the event and belonging to the Hall must be returned to their original positions or storage areas at the end of the hire.  Failure to do so will incur an additional charge.

Finally, on vacating the premises all doors and windows must be properly locked and secured, with special attention to fire doors.

Where and how do I collect the keys ?

There is a key safe located outside the building, which opens the main doors. As we frequently change the code, you must text the Booking Secretary 48 hours before your hire (on 07825 058829) who will then text back the current 4 digit CODE that will allow you to open the safe and get the key(s). 

Please note that all keys must be returned to the same key safe (and the combination scrambled) on completion of hire, failure to do so will result in an additional £50 charge.

Is the hall heated ?

Yes, we have recently installed air-source heating in the two halls and lobby areas.  Each hall has its own thermostatic controls – these are located beneath each of the wall mounted air-source fans.  A small notice below each fan gives simple instructions on how to adjust the temperature and how to turn on and turn off the fans should you need to.

PLEASE NOTE: You must return the thermostat to the default temperature setting at the end of your hire.  The default setting is given on the small notice below each fan.

What happens if I need to cancel my booking ?

We understand that sometimes things happen which means you have to cancel your booking.  Although refunds for fully paid and approved hires are at the discretion of the Trustees, this is how we usually manage cancellation requests:

  • for cancellations made 15 days (or longer) in advance of the scheduled hire we will normally, on written request, give a full refund less our current standard administration fee
  • for cancellations made between 14 to 8 days before the scheduled hire date we will normally, on written request, give a 50% refund less our current standard administration fee
  • but unfortunately we will not be able to provide any refunds for cancellations made within 7 days of the scheduled hire date.

Please note, however, that the Trustees reserve the right to cancel a hiring in the event of the hall being required for use as a polling station for a parliamentary or local elections or by-election, in which case the HIRER is entitled to a full refund of any monies paid.

What if I have a question that isn’t covered here ?

Please use the CONTACT US function on this website to email us your question and we will respond.  If we think the question is one others are likely to ask we will then add it to this list of FAQs.